Current Laboratory Members
Anika Haq Alam
Ph.D. Candidate in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Nanotechnology and drug delivery
- Development and analysis of Human Skin Equivalents
- Diffusion studies of Different drugs with/and permeation enhancers across human skin and their equivalents
- Drug Formulation
Education and Experience:
- Master of Natural Science in Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Southeast Missouri State University, Missouri, USA (2011-2014)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy, The University of Asia Pacific, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2006-2010)
- Teaching Assistant- Division of Life Sciences (Piscataway, NJ)
- Teaching Assistant- Department of Biology (Cape Girardeau, MO)
- Intern- Incepta Pharmaceuticals (Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Shahriar, M., Madak, M., Haq, A., Kabir, S., Saha, MR., Current Status of Antimicrobial Sensitivity Pattern of Streptococcus pneumonia Strains Collected from Clinical Sources in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Stamford Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2010, Vol. 3(1), pp. 59-62.
- Ekramul, H., Shahriar, M., Haq, A., Gomes BC.,Hossain, M., Razzak, A., Mazid A., Prevalence of β-lactamase-producing and non-producing methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus in clinical samples in Bangladesh, Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials, 2011, Vol. 3(5), pp. 112-118.
- Gudimalla, U., Raut, U., Meyer, J., Mim, A., Northcutt, A., Ghosh, S., “Enhancement of dendritic outgrowth from 3T3 cells by remotely tunable, magnetic nanocarriers in presence of basic fibroblast growth factor”, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS), Annual Meeting, 2012, Chicago, IL, October 14-17.
- Mim, A., McCallister, T., Diercks, D., Ghosh, S., “Neurite outgrowth from PC12 neuronal cells in presence of thermogelling dispersions of polymer nanocarriers: A novel agent for controlled protein release?”, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS), Annual Meeting, 2013, San Antonio, TX, November 9-10.
- Mim, A., McCallister, T., Diercks, D., Ghosh, S., “Intracellular uptake of poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG) based thermogelling polymer nanocarriers and neurite outgrowth from PC12 neuronal cells”, Materials Research Society, Spring Meeting, 2014, San Francisco, CA, April 21-25.
Honors and Awards:
- James Harold Paullus-Biological Sciences Scholarship- Southeast Missouri State University, MO, USA.
- Certificate of Academic Distinction in recognition of academic excellence in Graduate Studies- Southeast Missouri State University, MO USA.
- Vice-Chancellor’s Gold Medal- The University of Asia Pacific, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award- The International Award for Young People, UK.
- Deming Award- International Convention on Students’ Quality Control Circles, India.
Dina W Ameen
- Formulation development of transdermal and
topical drug delivery
- Bioadhesive polymeric films
- In vitro percutaneous absorption testing
Education and Experience:
- PhD student, Department of Pharmaceutics, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ (08/2013-Present)
- Assistant Lecturer of Physical Pharmacy at the College of Pharmacy –University of Baghdad (2005-2013)
- M.Sc. in Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy –University of Baghdad.(2005)
- Teacher assistant in Biochemistry lab, Department of Clinical Analyses - College of Pharmacy –University of Baghdad.(1999-2001)
- B.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy –University of Baghdad. (1998)
- Dina W. Ameen . Development and in vitro Evaluation of Bioadhesive Vaginal Tablet using Econazole Nitrate as a Model Drug”. Iraqi J Pharm Sci, 2011; 20(1):57-65.
- Lubna A. Sabri, Halah T. Sulyman, Dina W. Ameen. Formulation of Tinidazole as an Oral Suspension Dosage Form. Al-Mustansiriya J Pharm Sci, 2013; 13(1):82-93.
PhD Student – Part time
- Formulation development for topical & transdermal drug delivery systems
- Polymeric Drug Delivery Systems
- Oral Dissolvable Thin Films
- Drug/ Polymer characterization of thin Films
- TEVA Pharmaceuticals – Pomona, NY – R&D Scientist (August 2015 – Current)
- GSK Consumer Health – Parsippany, NJ – R&D Scientist (June 2014 – August 2015)
- Montclair State University – B.S. in Biology (May 2013)
- Transdermal Drug Delivery
- Drug Delivery Formulations and Technology
- Tissue Engineering
- Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Piscataway, NJ, Pharm. D. Candidate 2019
- Research Assistant - New Jersey Center of Biomaterials, Piscataway, NJ (1/2016 - Present)
Ph.D. candidate, (on leave)
- Formulation and development of drugs using Novel drug delivery technologies like Transdermal drug delivery systems
- Formulation Scientist, Pharmaceutical services division, Glatt Air Tchniques, Ramsey NJ Formulation and Product development of various Extended release solid and liquid oral dosages using Wurster techniques.
- Associate Formulation Scientist, Capricorn Pharma Inc. Frederick MD. Development on Solid oral dosage formulations.
- MS in Chemistry, University of South Dakota, Vermillion SD
- BS in Pharmacy, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
- Formulation development, evaluation and optimization of Topical Drug Delivery
- Drug delivery technology, pre-formulation study and development of topical formulation
- Scientist in specialty product development at Novel Laboratories, Inc. Somerset, NJ, USA (Oct 2013 – Present) Developing generic topical products: semisolid products like Cream, gel, lotion, ointment, suppositories, paste, foam and liquid products like oil, solution
- Scientist at Medicine In Need, Boston, USA (Nov 2010 – Sep 2013)
Formulation characterization and evaluation, pre-formulation approaches for poorly soluble drug using various dosage forms
- Research Scientist at Long Island University, NY USA. (Sep 2008 – Oct 2010)
Research topic: Evaluate Thermal and Rheological properties of EMDEX (Dextrate monohydrate) using various lubricants
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences – Rutgers The State University, NJ, USA (2015 – Present)
- Master of Science in Industrial Pharmacy – Long Island University, NY, USA (2007 – 2010)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy – Gujarat, India (2002 – 2006)
Awards and Honors:
- RHO CHI SCHOLAR AWARD (2009)
- WHO’S WHO AMONG STUDENTS AWARD (2010)
- Targeted drug delivery
- Exploring nanotechnology-based dermal drug delivery
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Analytical and Bioanalytical Product Develoment Summer Intern (2015)
- Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research Summer Intern in Mainz, Germany (2014)
- Rutgers Aresty Chemistry Research Scholar (2012-2014)
Sonia Trehan, PhD
CDR Manager-Industrial Projects
- Managing industrial projects of LDD at NJ Center for Biomaterials, Busch Campus both from research and technical perspective.
- Effective communication and collusion with different stake holders associated with the projects to propose, develop, strategize, finalize the budgets, protocols along with professional and technical suggestions to ensure quality driven final outcome including reports/related documents and client satisfaction.
- Managing dynamic professional alliance with other colleagues and staff members to demonstrate the team work and motivate the project group to implement the first time right approach
- Design, development and evaluation of novel drug delivery dosage forms including: Dry powder for inhalers, Transdermals, parenterals, Micro-emulsions, Lipid-based drug-delivery systems like nanoparticles, lipospheres and liposomes
- Design of experiments based on QbD.
- Formulation development of ANDAs and 505(b)(2)s for US and Europe and document support for submission to the FDA. .
- Visiting Scientist, New Jersey Centre for Biomaterials, Center for Dermal Research, Rutgers University
- Scientific Consultant at Innovative Drug Research Solutions (IDRS), Bangalore, India
- Research Associate in Formulation Dev. at Wockhardt Res. Centre, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India
- Senior lecturer at ASBASJS Memorial college of Pharmacy, Bela, Punjab, India
- Post Graduate trainee in Formulation Development at Panacea Biotec, Lalru, Punjab, India
- (Abrol) Trehan, S., Trehan, A., Katare, O. P. Drug Delivery (2004), 11 (3), 185-191.
- (Abrol) Trehan, S., Trehan, A., Katare, O. P. Current Drug Delivery (2004), 2 (1), 9–21.
- Khatri, N.I., Rathi, M.N., Baradia, D.P., Trehan, S., Misra, A.R. Crit. Rev.TM in Therap Systems (2012), 29(6), 487.
- Trehan, S., Sharma, G., Misra, A.R. siRNA: Syst Rev Pharm (2010), 1, 1-16.
- Khatri, N.I., Rathi, M.N., Kolte, A.A., Kore, G.G., Lalan, M.S., Trehan, S., Misra, A.R Recent Pat Drug Deliv Formul. (2012), 6(1), 45-65.
- Baradia, D.P, Khatri, N.I., Trehan, S., Misra, A.R., Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst (2012), 1(5), 577-588.
- Kher, G., Trehan, S., Misra, A.R. Chapter 7, Challenges in Delivery of Therapeutic Genomics and Proteomics, USA, (2011)
- Trehan, S., Misra, A.R. Chapter 1, Applications of Polymers in Drug Delivery, England (2013).
Misra, A.R., Trehan, S. Pulmonary delivery of sustained release pharmaceutical Compositions of PDE5 inhibitors and combinations thereof for pulmonary arterial hypertension. Indian Patent Application No. 1237/MUM/2011.
Part time Ph.D. Candidate in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- B.S in Pharmacy, L.M. College of Pharmacy, IndiaM.S in Pharmaceutics (Industrial Pharmacy), Long Island University, NY
- Formulation Scientist, Novel Laboratories, Somerset, NJ,
- Formulation and Product Development of Oral Solid Dosage forms (October 2013- present)
- Formulation Scientist, MEND (Medicine In Need), Boston, MA,
- Formulation Scientist, MEND (Medicine In Need), Boston, MA, Formulation and development of oral thin films, nanoparticles (November 2010- September 2013)
- Nano particles and drug carriers for topical and transdermal drug delivery
- Transdermal delivery (patches) and topical formulations
J. Peter Zhang
- Drug delivery technology, pre-formulation studies, formulation development, pharmacokinetics/ADME, polymeric drug delivery systems, and pathological mechanism studies.
- Transdermal drug delivery, permeation enhancers and their mechanisms, novel drug delivery techniques, and topical and transdermal formulation studies.
- Drugs and their metabolites analyses and characterizations / Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China.
- Drug pre-formulation and formulation studies, pharmaceutical analyses, laboratory automation and electronic documentation; / Schering-Plough Corporation, New Jersey.
Selected Publications and patents:
- J. Zhang, B.A. Watson, R.W. Keown, C.P. Malone and M.A. Barteau "Investigation of sulfonated aromatic compound (SAC) modification to nylon 6 film. 2. Study of SAC sorption isotherm and atomic force microscopic characterization of nylon surface" Langmuire 11(8):3018-3023, 1995
- J. Zhang, C.S. Liu and T.H. Zhou "The analysis of human urinary metabolites of the contraceptive drug norethisterone by GC-MS". Chemical J. Chinese Universities 14(2):184-186, 1993
- J. Zhang, C.S. Liu, H. Bi, Y. Zhang, L. Ye and T.H. Zhou "The Chromatographic-Mass Spectrometric Analysis and Detection of Anabolic Steroid drugs in Human Urine and Metabolic Study" Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica 26(8):598-605, 1991
Part time Ph.D. Student in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Formulation Development of Targeted Drug Delivery System
- Director of R&D at PuraCap Pharmaceutical LLC. Piscataway, NJ, USA (2011 – Present)
- Manager of R&D at G&W Laboratories, Inc. Sourth Plainfield, NJ, USA (1999 – 2011)
- Research Scientist at 999 Pharmaceutical Enterprise Group, Shenzhen, China (1995-1996)
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences – Rutgers The State University, NJ, USA (2016 – Present)
- Master of Science in Chemistry – Lamar University, TX, USA (1998)
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry – Zhongshan University, China (1995)
- A. Rashid, J. Zhang, M. Tran, D. Guo, Polyvinylpyrrolidone-containing acetaminophen liquid formulations, US 8969416 B2 (2012)
- Four patents are currently under USPTO review